02 February 2012

An Organizing Story

I love RealSimple. I really do. The feeling I get from waiting to find this publication in the mail every month is comparable to the anticipation of Christmas. However, I also love organizing and decluttering. (And, as it turns out, procrastinating on other more important things on the to-do list...studying, moving the paint can out from behind my door so that I don't whack the door into it every single time I get up in the morning, and folding laundry. I would pay good money for a magic laundry elf that would fold clothes while I sleep.) I recently started going through the painful process of getting rid of years worth of magazines. When I first started receiving RealSimple, I bought magazine holders and neatly lined them up next to one of my two bookshelves. Over the years, that row of magazines has become a dumping ground for every issue. I would add one to the pile each month, telling myself, "Okay, this is it. I have to organize this corner. I can't take it anymore!" But sadly, that month would fly by and nothing ever got done. That is, until three days ago. It has actually been enjoyable: instead of turning on the TV or flipping though Jane Austen's Emma (which I have been trying to read, unsuccessfully, longer than I've been reading RealSimple), I retreat to the pile on the floor, carefully thumbing through each page and tearing out recipes, pictures and ideas that I might use someday. I've placed them in sheet protectors in a binder, which I already love. It's like a favorite band made a greatest hits CD that just happened to contain all of my most loved songs.